Birthday purchases

It was my birthday recently.  Mrs Phil and relatives all gave me money so I could buy the figures I need to complete my armies (so far).

So I've been sending orders out today for the following:-

Magister Militum
Theurophoroi (for the Achaian army as well as any Hellenistic Greek)
Hypaspists (for the Macedonian army)
Bolt Throwers (for various - always wanted to try some artillery)
Spanish Heavy Cavalry and Cavalry (to finish off my Spanish army)
plus some transfers for the hoplites and pikemen's shields.

Pendraken
Hoplites - to add to the ones I've already produced but which can double as pedities extraodinarii and lots of other 'offensive spearmen' types
'Spartan' Hoplites (mainly for the Syracusan and earlier Greek armies)
Light Greek cavalry (for Macedonians / Seleucids etc.)
Persian Spearmen (to represent general 'Eastern' militia / spearmen such as Parthians, Skythians etc.)

Steve Barber Models
Early German warband (to add to the Gallic army but can also double as galatians)
Early German command
Early German cavalry (to add a bit more variety to my Gallic cavalry)
Parthian Cataphracts (can also double as Skythian, Armenians,
Parthian Horse achers (which can also double as Saka, Skythian, Bactrian, Sogdian etc.)
Parthian command (because I need some 'eastern' commanders
Parthian foot archers (double as Sarmatians, Successors, etc.)
Nubian light horse (to support my Romans but also act as general mounted skirmishers for a few different armies).

As I'm still painting my Macedonian cavalry this is another bunch of lead that will need the paint slapping on but I thought it best to get them now rather than wait.

The other good thing about this (and 10mm in general) is that troops can be easily intermingled (not so easy with 28mm1) to help form different armies.  As a consequence we will have a significant variety of battles to fight - rather than just the same two sides fighting all the time.

I think that I can now field something like 25+ different FOG armies - together with Russ' figures we could probably field c. 30 armies!

In 28mm (and even 15mm) this would have cost us a small fortune but for 10mm the overall cost comes in at around £300 - or £10 an army.  The other advantage of 10mm!