Flat hills revisited

I recently discovered a section on Matkishi's Tea Room about producing hills and rolling terrain - specifically flat contoured ones like the image below.  This allows for much more varied terrain than the typical small raised hill.






The idea is to create module pieces that share similar size characteristics that allow them to fit together. 

Originally I tried to make these using cork tiles - but couldn't find any thick enough (I could only find 3mm width ones at Wickes).  So I decided to try 6mm MDF instead.

As a result I popped down to B&Q and picked up two 2' x 4' boards with the idea of making 16 12" x 12" blocks.  However, the guy cutting them messed up (one set was exactly 12" but the other came out at 11.7" - not ideal for modular terrain!).

He explained that the saw took 3mm off when it cut.  We discussed the problem and he suggested buying a huge sheet of MDF (4' x 9') which he'd then work on.

He cut the 16 blocks - and there was still a block of MDF of about 2' x 4' left!  The sheet only cost £9.40 (which was just 20p more expensive than a much smaller board and - amazingly - a good £4 cheaper than the original two boards).  In effect I got all 16 square boards AND another sheet of 2 x 4 MDF for £4 less than two 2 x 4 boards!?!

I got them home and have started to mark them up.  I'm following Matakishi's general guidance to mark them up to cut them into rough halves, thirds and quarters - leaving some rounded edges and some straight.

More to follow!