Rebasing 6mm Napoleonic troops for the Grand Armee rules

As mentioned previously, I've started the process of rebasing my 6mm Napoleonic troops to conform to the Grand Armee rules.

Starting pint is creating the 3" bases (which I cut from stiff artists mounting board) and painting them brown as a base colour.  These were then stacked to prevent the bases warping too much.

The bases cut to size


The bases painted brown - then stacked to prevent warping.

I then detached the figures from their Polemos bases and marked out in pencil the rough lines to denote the lines of infantry.


Dutch troops on the Polemos bases


Transferred to the larger Grand Armee base.

Then I added some terrain touches like rocks and bushes - before PVAing the base to put the first layer of talus down.  This was applied using a brush to get between the lines of troops.


Rocks and bushes added.


The Dutch Jagers get the same treatment (right)


First layer of talus added to give the earthy texture required.


I then gave the bases another layer of talus to even up the base to the level of the soldiers' feet.  This is then washed with a PVA / Water mix to seal the talus in.

I moved on the some Portuguese figures - essentially to trial adding skirmish units to the base to denote SK1 and SK2 regiments.  The Dutch and Portuguese are essentially guinea pigs for my British and Prussians but they seem to be coming out OK so far.  The Portuguese skirmishers I've placed behind rocks and bushes to represent the Peninsular terrain.


Portuguese with skirmishers hiding behind rocks and bushes.


The same unit from the side



And with talus added.

Next stage will be to drybrush the talus then add some flock and they'll be done.   Pictures of those when they're done.