300k - and a blast from the past

Another milestone passed - the 300k page views.

Helped by the 'Waiting' picture (but alas no more as Google has pulled some jiggery pokery) but generally just by honest to goodness curious people stopping by.

So thanks to you all! 

On a similar but unrelated note I also intend to bring back some posts that I particularly enjoyed putting together but from a long time ago (and when I had less than 10 followers so you'd never have seen it).


MAKING FOREST SCENERY

The next piece of scenery will be four forest pieces that can stand alone or be combined. I'm going to be re-basing Russ' trees into a selection of forest scenery (two deciduous, two pine). As I wanted to get more bang for the buck I made 4 pieces with more sparsely placed trees rather than two 'dense' pieces. We know what they are but this means we can field 4 pieces - that can also be used for our Naps battles.

I cut out the bases from the 3mm compressed foamboard. Again, I've gone for irregular shapes. These were painted a light brown and left to dry.


Not the finished piece - the trees are Russ' and I want to replicate the rocks and stones in this broken ground terrain.

I then glued some 'rocks and stones' - similar to the broken ground rocks - to fill in space and add a bit of character to the pieces. I then placed the trees - moving them around until I was happy with the placement - then stuck them down with Uhu.


The 'irregular' bases - painted a light brown.

Once secure, I then PVA'd the rest of the base and added (in order) a scattering of smaller rocks, then large stones and finally the basic fine basing material. This was left to dry.


The trees and main rocks stuck in place



With the basing material on.

I then PVA's each clump of rocks and smaller rocks to fix them in place.


Another view - with extra PVA added to the rocks to fix them in place prior to drybrushing

Once dry, I'll begin the drybrushing of the basing material and rocks prior to 'green' flocking (I'll try to gently mix basic grass with some static grass and some bushier stuff by the trees to help mask the join - Russ' tree bases are already flocked so I need to blend them into the rest of the grass. The first two should be ready by tomorrow.

I'll also start on the pine forest. I've thickened the trunks to make them less 'twisted wire' like and more trunkish. I'll be sticking rocks n' stuff down tomorrow.

The finished article. You can't really see it from the photo but these are pretty darn good (if I say so myself)



A better view - you can see the rocks etc. Still too much contrast (damn flash!)


The bases can be used seperately, or bunched to create a long or wide terrain piece.



Some skirmishers for scale