Double Dip Depression

I saw these on eBay the other day.  A nice selection of 6mm armour and normally I'd be opening the wallet (despite having more 6mm German armour than I will ever need).

But on closer inspection (and apologies if these are yours, by the way) I thought...nope!

The reason - they've clearly been 'dipped' in a varnish or similar.  Now this may work for 28mm scale vehicles and models but for 6mm the effect - for me - doesn't work.  Judge for yourself but I don't think that a thick dollop of gunk does much for the aesthetics. 

Tanks are metallic but tend to have matt finishes as anything shiny on a battlefield wouldn't last long. 

I'm all for shading and drybrushing my 6mm tanks but I tend to use ink washes to give depth as they define the crevises and shadows without dominating the model.

Worse - if you've ever tried to either paint over varnish or tried to remove it - they are virtually un-repaintable.  So you're pretty much stuck with what you've got.

Along with many other people I think 'dipping' is both lazy and creates an unrealistic finish.  It may be quick - but if those figures are with you for the next 50 years, is it not worth a couple of minutes finishing the paint job properly rather than 'dip - glunk - done' ?