Escape From Colditz


As it was Christmas Night at Deeside Defenders, we not only discussed plans for next year but also had a go at Russ' Escape from Coldditz (£40 on Ebay).

I remembere this game from my early youth and wasn't looking forward to it much.  But I was pleasantly suprised.  I was the Poles, Jon the French, Mark the Dutch and Ian the plucky Brits. 

We all grabbed our escape kit components then the serious business of planning began.  I was the first to get a man out by rolling an outrageous 3 doubles on the trot and a high 4th roll giving me a whopping 37 moves.  Using rope and wire cutters borrowed from Mark andd John, my man was down the wall and through the wire and well clear before Russ could get to shoot (and miss).  Switzerland, here I come.

Russ' patrols led to full cells and an empty courtyard.  Mark and John were busy on their tunnels while I was planning a daring foray through the front gate.  It was John who went next though - running through his tunnel and away - but in his haste managed to collapse the tunnel which meant it couldn't be used again.

Mark also had his tunnel open - so I planned to use it to make a winning break for freedom. A total of 17 meant I could get clear unless Russ was incredibly lucky on the dice rolls.  I poppedd to the loo - confident of victoty - and found on my return that Russ HAD been incredibly lucky.  A double 6 and another good roll found my escapee in the cells and Mark desperately trying to get his own men out of the discovered tunnel before Russ bagged them all. 

With both tunnels discovered we had to resort to starting new strategies.  John played his Staff Car card - giving him 7 rolls of the dice from a point on the board - but three rolls of 5 meant he stopped just 3 spaces from victory.  Ho ho ho.

But Colditz has 'Do or Die' cards (handed out and unseen by the players) which you play if you want to make a desperate run for it.  As time was getting on I decided to play it - and found I hadd the best one in the deck (7 rolls).  The first three rolls included a double 4 - so I was well clear in just 3 rolls and claimed the second 'Home Run' of the night.

It was a load of fun and nothing like my childhood memories.  Thanks to Russ for playing the dastardly Germans and all the boys for making it a good night.