Macedon vs Persia

Tonight's the night.  Presuming Mrs B gets back from Norwich in good time then we're on for the first clash between Macedon and Persia.

I'm looking forward to this - the Punic Wars battles were fun but this throws up a few different challenges.  Russ has a lot of archers on the field meaning that I've got to get up close and personal asap with my foot soldiers - but the sheer number of his skirmish troops may make this difficult. 



I'm certainly down on quality if not numbers in terms of horses - his Saka and Guard cavalry are very good and I've got to be careful to hold both flanks to protect the slow moving pike.  The cavalry engagement will be crucial - whoever wins there is certain to win the battle.  Alexander will need to be close by!

Having Alexander means that I should win the initiative - meaning Russ has to delploy first.  I can then align my troops to best advantage - and seek to pull his army about a bit if I can.

The only advantage on the foot side is the numbers - I'll have overlaps on both sides so the melee element will be important for me - I have to use the numbers to my advantage.  His elite 'Apple Bearers' are tough but its only a small BG so taking a base off will make a big difference.

I've finished flocking all the BG's (just in time) and will try to get the command bases ready (Alexander plus 2 x TC's) done in time.

Game on!