Well, the Irregular Samurai arrived...

A big box was waiting for me on Friday evening - the big box from Irregular.

This was full of bits and pieces - a Samurai castle, WW1 stuff for Ian, a variety of little features to add scenic value to the Samurai village (pig pen, willow pond, gatehouse etc.) - and a whole host of figures.

These consist of mounted samurai, foot samurai, ashigaru (of various types) and some generals.

The idea behind these was two-fold.  To add bulk (in the form of 'peasants') for the PoW Renaissance Japanese armies and also to create two DBR samurai armies for a campaign I'm planning for next year.

However, I must say that I am less than impressed with the figures - especially compared to the Baccus ones.  I've painted up two Baccus stands (to keep me sane while knocking out Prussian Mixed stands fro Grand Armee) and - although I'm still getting to grips with them - I must say they look the dog's doofers. The final armies are going to look fantastic (he says hopefully).

I also painted (or should I say attempted to paint) some Irregular ashigaru with naginata strips but found it virtually impossible.  They just look like blobs with bits sticking out.  Is that a naginata or an arm?  Where is this guy's face?  The legs blend into one chunky blob where no daylight can be seen between them - are they all wearing cloaks or very baggy trousers?

Then there is the issue of flash.  Now some manufacturers will leave a bit of flash on - fair enough.  But the majority of the Irregular stands come with large (and I mean large) blocks of flash underneath the base.  Each one needs a good 5 minutes with file and modelling knife to remove.  Indeed, I think I'm going to have to resort to the Dremel to get these off otherwise it could be another year before these are done.

Irregular Samurai cavaly painted by someone else.


With no discernable detail it does - I suppose - make painting very easy.  It just becomes an exercise in blobbing (assuming that you can actually make out what is supposed to be a face, hand, arm etc.) - but the sculpting is so poor that its doesn't really matter.  I seriously found it hard to discern a musket armed ashigaru with one with a bow!

Now in a way I suppose its not a bad thing.  From a couple of feet away you have an army that (with decent basing) looks kind of like what you're going for - although I'm going to have to make up some flags for these (Baccus units come with a few flag carriers as standard).  And they will paint up in no time.  And for DBR they will do a job.  Putting them alongside the Baccus figures, they are smaller and don't really fit - so I'll go back to Baccus for my 'peasants' to complete the PoW army. 

But (and I'm sure Pete at Baccus will thank me for this) if you're planning a 6mm samurai army, then Baccus is well worth the additional cost.

The frustrating bit though is a lot of the scenery elements from Irregular are really good - and I've heard good things about other Irregular ranges.  But I think they can take a leaf from Pendraken - review the range, get a decent sculptor in to re-do a lot of it and relaunch better products as they come on stream.