DBA game last night - Polybian Romans vs the Spanish

Had a game of DBA last night with my neighbour Mark.

No battle report (sorry!) but a quick review.  I took the Romans (36 elements a side!) and laid out 3 equal groups of 12 bases (its what the Romans would have done!).   

On the left my velites managed to kill off most of his Luisitanian caetrati by taking the top of the hill (with the consequent bonus).  This freed up the 8 bases of infantry who spent the rest of the battle struggling over the hill and through the forest on that side and never got to swing a blade in anger.

In the middle I had a slow moving block of infantry slowly grinding up to meet his Celtiberian warband and my right group aimed to hold off a combined Iberian force of cavalry and scutarii.

The Celtiberians managed to inflict some losses (including taking out 2 bases of triarii) and the Iberians got my right hand unit disordered (and killed my general) meaning they were very hard to control.  But the mincing machine (and the trusty dice tower) managed to reduce them to disordered.  As this meant that he could no longer order them about, and with his right flank gone, he conceded defeat.

I really enjoyed the game.  The rules are simple but effective and we managed to get a result - even with 72 bases on the field - within a couple of hours.  I'm not sure the same would have applied to FOG!

Mark's going to put on a HOTT battle soon (essentially DBA plus magic, dragons, heroes etc.) which will be fun and we're also going to give a Very British Civil War a run out, as well as some early 20th Century stuff including Germans vs British in Africa and Russian Civil War.  Should be a hoot!