Fence Posts

All the talk about fence sitting today lead to think about Fencewalker and an update on it's status.Way back in 2008 (remember?) Austin was a part of Chris Carter's personal film project, the closely guarded indie Fencewalker. Described originally as "coming-of-age semiautobiographical character piece with no supernatural elements". What followed was who was in the cast, that they filmed in Carter's hometown of Bellflower CA, and that Austin played a character named Tweedy.

And then not much more.

From interviews from leads Katie Cassidy and fellow Austinite and former Glory Road co-star Mehcad Brooks, and Carter we've found out a little more about the movie.

Carter has said that it is not autobiographical as originally thought.
He did, however, give some hint as to the film’s content. “It represents for me the reflection of the difficulty for a person … ” he said before trailing into a superficially unrelated thought that nonetheless probably has some bearing on the film. “I’m a big fan of Barack Obama. I think he carries a heavier burden and is held to a greater and higher standard than other candidates … I think there’s a large, large portion of this country that feels disenfranchised and marginalized by the political process.”

In 2010 Mehcad told the Austin Statesmen : "Also there's a film called "Fencewalker" that should be hopefully coming out this year, hitting the festivals. It's Chris Carter's passion project — he wrote and directed it. ... It's kind of like 'American Beauty' meets 'American History X.' It's something special. "

He also added in another interview about the challenge of working on the part "The biggest challenge I’ve faced as an actor was a character named Salaam Alexander from an upcoming film entitled Fencewalker. He had an innocence about him that I lost years ago. He hadn’t seen or known the world to be quite as cold a place as it can be from time to time. Humans are so fragile. And he was hard to embody because he goes through so much in the duration of the film. Some of it was so devastating that I just had to accept the circumstances of what was happening to him and it was tough. Really tough."

According to some sources, there are political and racial undertones in the movie. That Katie plays the wife of a young politician(Mehcad) who is being groomed for the presidency and who has also has another love interest.(played by Natalie Dormer)

In an interview with Collider.com Katie was keeping the closely guard secrets of the film and would only say this about the project:"Fencewalker was really great. It was actually really challenging for me to take on that role. I can’t say much about it, but I was going through a place in my life, while I was shooting that movie. I went through a difficult time, but it’s something that needed to happen, in order to get all the colors that Chris wanted out of this girl. That needed to happen to me. It was definitely an emotional experience, but nothing that I would ever take back. Chris Carter is a great director and a great writer. The script was amazing! And, I’m so happy to have been a part of something like that. It’s going to be really great. I think that will be out at the end of the year."

Mark Snow who composed the music for the movie said that if people want to guess what Fencewalker is about you need to think about Lynch's "Blue Velvet."

Everyone was hoping it would come out the end last year, but it now is a waiting game. And there is talk (Baltimore Sun) that it never will. Even Carter himself is not sure if it will ever come out:

“It’s a very personal project … We’re still working on it. But because I financed it myself, I have the ability to refine it."

Because Fencewalker’s future is uncertain, Carter was reluctant to discuss it at length. “I don’t know if it will ever see light of day, to be honest,” he said at one point."


Lot's of sitting around waiting and here's hoping everything and one gets off the fence.

....

Doesn't look like Jake ran into a fence but maybe a pair of Levi's button fly a few(?) times, the way those worn spots look on his long time favorite jeans.

A perfect bike for this Two Wheel Tuesday.