Ancients Campaign : off with a bang!

Thursday night saw the first couple of years of our Ancients campaign – and what a great night it was!  Ian had put a load of effort into pulling it together and the preparation paid off with all kinds of skulduggery and ‘face value’ diplomacy taking place.

The digs started before we even knew which empires we owned, as John’s opening gambit was “Watch out for Ian – he’s a conniving b*st*rd” and “Watch your back when Taylor’s around”. 

John was also the subject of conversation, having been on BBC’s Midland’s Today (as the news crew had been round to his place of work).  Ian marvelled at the fact that John had got himself into every single shot of the report (a major feat as this occasionally this involved him having to stand on chairs,   lean back precariously or shove his colleagues out of the way).

Before proceedings began, Mark also turned the club into an offshoot of the Women’s Institute by handing out strawberry jam.  As it was home made in Wales this was clearly unfit for human consumption (and I’ve never seen strawberry jam that is green/grey and furry) but Ian sportingly took 3 jars off him – apparently he’s trying to develop a new strain of penicillin and thinks Mark’s jam could help.

The bluffing and backstabbing begins
We were issued with our objectives first (which we keep secret until we complete it – upon which time it is revealed).  Then we were issued with our empires.  I pulled Carthage (much to Russ’ delight) and after much tears and tantrums from me a bit of horse trading took place – and I swapped with Ian and ended up with Macedonia.

As they say, be careful what you wish for…once the game started I realised I was hemmed in by some real powerhouses (including the Dacians to my north) and would have to fight my way out to survive. 

John had the Selucids, Russ the Romans, Ian now had Carthage and I had Macedonia.  We then had to build our armies (based on the territories we held) – each state providing one unit of a specific troop type - and then each turn had to state which territory each army would move into.  Once the army moved into a province and its presence was unchallenged, then the holding player would own that territory and the troop type within it.

Therefore the opening moves were essentially land grabs where each player tried to get as much territory as they could without bumping into each other or the Barbarian kingdoms.   The latter are quite terrifying as they require taking on the full army of every province of the Barbarian kingdoms with a random dice roll for each troop type.

For example, if I was to invade Dacia, I would be taking on 5 provinces but could face anything from 5 to 15 units (with an army of – say – 9 units).  Not only that, but even if you won, you’d then automatically face the combined armies of the remaining Dacian kingdom (i.e. 4 – 12 units) who would try to win the territory back.  The prospect of tying a lot of your forces into a province for many game years – while having the other players nibbling at your other territories while you’re pre-occupied – is not a pleasant one.  Which is why taking on the opposing empires rather than the Barbarian Kingdoms can be considered the lesser of two evils. 

The other factor is that – occasionally – one of the Barbarian Kingdoms may attack one of the provinces bordering their lands.  This is purely random – a 6 on a d6 to determine if they attack, another d6 to determine which Barbarian attacks and then another d6 to see which territory they do attack.   If you (like the Romans) border a couple of Barbarian Kingdoms then life could get lively and interesting.

There were some diplomatic moves made by all players – mainly promises with ‘cross my heart’ attached to them to never, in any circumstance, to invade that player’s territory.  These will be broken.


Opening moves
Ian moved into Spain, Russ into north Italy, myself into northern Greece (including Propontia – essentially opposite where Istanbul is now) and John (worryingly) into Kappadokia and Hyspatia.

In the next turn, Ian continued to rampage into Spain, but also moved across into Lybia.  Russ took a part of Sicily and – as a direct threat to me – Dalmatia.  I moved into Paionia while the Seleucids took Judea and Galatia. 

While all this was happening, we all undertook diplomatic discussions with each other – all promising to steer clear of each other while trying to position ourselves to achieve our respective objectives. 

Russ aggressively stepped into Dalmatia – directly threatening my borders.  We had a conversation and I moved one of my armies into Dalmatia to secure my flanks.   I don’t really want or need to take on Rome to meet my objective (or do I?) but nor do I want to leave myself open.

John also looks hemmed in – to get to Carthage he needs to go through Pompey in Egypt (elephants, pikes, cavalry, hoplites – no thanks) and he also faces the Parthians and their pesky horse archers to the north – so he started sniffing close to my borders.  To circumvent a surprise attack, I moved a couple of my armies over into his neck of the woods – and also took Rhodes to prevent a Carthaginian move into my soft underbelly.  I’d agreed with Ian that he could have a pop at Crete to stop Russ (who we suspected of having the ‘capture 4 islands’ objective) but equally I suspect Ian may have the same objective.

By taking Spain and moving into North Africa he’s cemented a link to the Balearics and has routes into Sicily, Sardinia, Rhodes and Crete.   As a consequence, taking Rhodes keeps one out of his hands.  Any move towards another island would drive us to hold onto the others with brutal force.

Which is why Russ’ agreement to let Ian have Sicily in return for some promises about not attacking through Gaul and keeping out of Sardinia were quite disquieting.  Ian would have one island – as well as a jumping off point into Southern Italy and could easily jump on the Balearics and Sardinia with Russ powerless to do much about it.

We made our views known and Russ instead reneged on the deal – but allowed Ian a toe-hold on Sicily (a move he may regret). 

The rules allow for disasters to occur when you cross the sea at any point.  Ian lost some troops and some others contracted the plague (which may affect the territory they’re now in).  I also lost some javelinmen by crossing 1 mile of sea between Greece and what is now Turkey!  In addition, when I tried to retreat (as John’s forced started to gather) I wasn’t allowed (Storms At Sea) and so was stuck for the end of the year on Turkish soil.



The First Battle
Russ became the centre of attention and may have the objective to ‘Eliminate two Barbarian Kingdoms’ as he then launched a surprise attack into the Gaulish Kingdom (despite there being some unclaimed territory between him and Ian in Spain).

This meant we moved to the gaming table.  Mark rolled for the Gauls and came up with 5 warbands, some cavalry and javelins.  Against these  Russ had some Velites, cavalry and assorted hastati, principes and triarii.

To make it interesting, Mark allowed us all to help or fight Russ.  John (having no common border with Rome) was allowed to take some of Russ troops while Ian and myself (with vested interests) supported Mark in crushing to Romans.

On paper it was no contest – the Gauls had numbers and ferocity on their side.  Certainly the opening moves went that way.  My Gauls scared the velites off the table and the Gallic cavalry crushed the opposing Roman horse. 

Russ decided on discretion being the better part of valour and tried to run off the table – but was just caught by the Gauls.  The resulting melees however saw a couple or warbands routed for a few Roman casualties.  So Russ decided to come back onto the table and to try again.  He battered another warband (with Ian’s horrendous dice throwing being a major factor)  and Ian got the cavalry out of the way before his dice killed them as well.

By this stage though his own troops were looking a bit ropey – and I had two warbands untouched.  Mark called time and said we’d have to refight with what was left on the table next week.

The only other incident of note before we called it a day was my hanging around in John’s territory.  I had two armies on his side of the Bosphorus and he obviously took this as some form of threat.  I was dubious about crossing the water again (having lost a unit the last time) – especially with his two armies in close proximity.  I had the chance to pounce on one of his armies with two of mine – but declined (as I was busy taking Rhodes with my other one).  But as his forces were circling aggressively I had no choice but to stand my ground.  So as his entered the same space as mine were sitting I decided to stand and fight.  I have Rome, Dacia and the Seleucids around me and I need some lebensraum – so next Thursday we go toe-to-toe.
 
Summary
A great start to the campaign.  Loads of fun, tons of backstabbing and bluffing and some bloodshed to boot.  What’s not to like!