Playing Favourites

Picked this up from a couple of blogs and thought Id join in.  Basically, list a number of subjects (normally wargames related) and explain why they are your favourite.  Simples.

Wargames Period
Straight away I have a conflict here.  Ancients is probably my favourite but I am getting much more into Renaissance (especially ECW) and 18th Century.  Then I have a penchant for WW2 (as evidenced by my enormous Russian and Allied armies for Spearhead).  But if you're going to push me I'd say Ancients - especially the time of the Punic Wars as there was so much going on and tons of battles to fight.  Interestingly I was properly introduced to wargaming via Napoleonics but that has slipped down the pecking order.

Scale
Again a slight conflict but a matter of 4mm.  All my WW2 stuff is 6mm (as are my Naps) but all my ancient armies are 10mm - which is probably my favourite scale.  Enough detail to provide interest but not so much that it takes hours to produce a couple of units.  6mm can be a strain on the old eyes but gives a great effect and allows proper battles to take place on the table.  It's hard to do real flanking etc. using 28mm / 15mm - the scale just doesn't allow it.  10mm provides the same advantages of 6mm in terms of battle sizes and space on the field - and are also easier to paint.

Rules
Oh - so many to choose from!  FOG for ancients, closely followed by DBA for when time is short.  Principles of War for Renaissance, 18C, 19C but not for Napoleonics (where we use Grand Armee which is a little simplistic but allows the big battles to be fought).  Spearhead for WW2.

Boardgame
Not a big wargame fan but I'd like to give Space hulk a go!  I suppose Risk is the safe choice, as is Carcasonne.

Rant
Still my #1 bugbear is model manufacturers who still can't grasp that if you're buying stuff off the web, you need to have a really good idea what they're going to look like.  This means a photo that you can expand that shows the figure (or tank or whatever) - preferably painted up so you know what you're getting.

Amazingly I still buy from Heroics and Ros despite working off a pdf of a price list.  They are the exception to the rule.  Pendraken are getting there but they also insist of close ups of unpainted metal which looks unattractive.  There are loads of other companies who use thumbnail pictures which don't expand (so you have to squint or use a magnifying glass to see what they're selling). Others don't bother at all or show badly painted miniatures that actually put you off.

Figure manufacturer
Heroics and Ros for 6mm WW2.  No-one does it better - especially for the price.

10mm ancients fall between Pendraken and Magister Militum.  With a new sculptor on board, Pendraken may have taken the edge here and they are certainly cheaper.  Steve Barber does excellent 10mm but the range is still quite small - but he does lovely Parthians and Early Germans.  I've heard that Kallistra are great for 100YW and Dark Ages but I'm a way off that yet - maybe later in the year.

Napoleonics - I use Baccus.  A bit chunky compared to H&R but easy to paint.


Opponent
Regular readers will know that I usually play against the same crew each time, and each has his strengths and weaknesses.  I always enjoy playing Russ - he plays in the right spirit and despite losing countless times with his Carthaginians always came back for more.  Mark is just hilarious - the most aggressive player I've known.  He literally is a 'damn the torpedoes' type of player and can often get into a sticky patch by being keen to get stuck in but similarly is a player who can fight his way out again.  Russ and Mark on the same side is a recipe for a massed charge with battle cries and snorting beasts.

John is a 'cup half full' player - get some early blows in and the head will drop - but he is tenacious and (if things are going well) he's a great man to have on your side.  A bit like Ian, he will plan his moves ahead and seek to get the most advantage out of a situation.  He's not the guy you want to play if you make a mistake!

Ian is the Jedi Master (or maybe the Chess master) - quiet, contemplative but can quickly turn a situation around.  You know he's thinking a couple of turns ahead and he will play to get the maximum out of any rules (but will always play within them).  Beat Ian and you know you've done well.  Which is why I very rarely do!


Book
Anything by Anthony Beevor.  I must have read Stalingrad ten times by now.  Max Hastings is also great value (check out Armageddon of you can).  I love the Hornblower books - so I have no idea why I'm so crap at Age of Sail!  The Sharpe books are also great fun.  But I am such an avid reader of so many different types of book that no single one stands out.



Films
Again - so many to choose from!  The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Swedish original) was stunning - indeed I notice that the Hollywood remakes of European films are pale shadows of the originals.  Ones I've watched recently include the Duellists (great stuff) and Attack on Leningrad (toilet).  In terms of series though I suppose Band of Brothers takes some beating.  Shawshank, LOTR and The Way Back are all up there as well.

I do love Amelie - a great feelgood movie - as well.

I did like Star Wars - until the truly horrific prequels came out.  As soon as the Ewoks appeared it was going downhill but after that....bleurgh.  If you want a laugh, check out the Red Letter critique of the Star Wars prequels on You Tube (just ignore the serial killer nonsense if you can).  He takes the entire fabric of the films apart with surgical precision - and you find yourself agreeing with every single point he makes.

Art
In terms of wargaming, Angus McBride in unequalled in bringing history to life.  The man is a genius.


Forums 
I go on the Football 365 Forum a lot.  I am a member of the Pendraken and FOG forums but rarely go on them.


Blogs
So many to choose from.  My reading list should give most of them away.  Always a fan of the Angry Lurker, The Man Cave, Big Lee, etc. but lots of different blogs give me pleasure for different reasons.


Paints
Vallejo for me but the occasional 'miss' where it comes out like gloop or a runny mess.  Coat d'Arms I use a lot.  All my Games Workshop stuff dried in the pots (grrrr) so I never use them now.  Never tried Foundry and yet heard good things about them.


PC games 
Call of Duty series - just finished MW3.  I have also wasted many, many hours on the Dawn of War series (including the Epic DOW II which is just superb).  And of course any of the Total War (especially Rome and Medieval).

Favourite other hobby
Astronomy.  Not easy when you live in a place where there is a permanent orange glow in the sky!