What a difference a base makes...

How do I base my miniatures?  Read on and find out.

The bases themselves I cut from card.  Not as durable as MDF bases but cheap and quite long lasting.  I simply cut to size and stick a magnetic strip underneath (for added strength and storage as all my figures are in file boxes with steel paper bases).

I start off painting the bases a uniform brown.  In my case I use Wilkinson's emulsion test pots (just 50p a pot  at the moment) which means enough to cover around 1,000 bases.  The brown colour is a good background for the chunky brown talus I use.



I also paint the metal bases of each model the same colour - so the match the base.  I then use Hobbycraft Tacky Glue to attach the figures to the base.  Stronger than normal PVA but not as strong as normal contact adhesive.  So easier to prise off bases should you need to.



A blob per figure is required.



I then dip them in talus to collect around the figure base and help cover it up.





Then I use a thinner PVA for the rest of the talus.  Asda's own is dirt cheap and quite good.


This is squirted into a glass tealight holder and painted onto the base.  I then sprinkle on some larger 'rocks' before dipping the rest in the talus.







I leave these for a while (1-2 hours) until the PVA has set.  Then I drybrush a light brown then a cream colour (both Wilkinson match pots) over the talus.  I always use the same colours as this ensures all my bases are consistent.  However, for some (e.g. desert warfare or Northern Europe) then different schemes are required (e.g. darker green grass for Northern Europe, sandy colours and very little scrubby vegetaion for deserts).



You can see the dusty, pebbly effect here quite well.

Now for the flock.  A few drops of PVA which are then painted into the cracks, onto the figure bases etc.  I use the flock sparingly so some earth can be seen underneath.  It's also great for covering up the flat figure bases that don't match the 'pebbly' effect of the base.  I keep the figures in the flock tub then sprinkle it through my fingers onto the bases below (so any which drops off is caught directly in the tub itself - keeping waste and mess to a minimum).






The finished pieces - with the 'before' picture for comparison.