Jane's Fighting Ships of WW2


I bought this bad boy from Amazon for a reasonable price to support my knowledge of all things German and Italian Naval.

It's OK - and certainly packed with information on most ships in the navies at the time.  But I think a lot of the info was gleaned during (or just after WW2) and - at first glance - there seem to be a lot of omissions.  I looked up Japanese carriers and although the Kaga and Akagi were mentioned, I couldn't find Soryu anywhere?!!?

All illustrations are black and white - which is not much use for colour schemes - and many of the photos are grany at best.

Certainly not a page turner but it is a weighty tome and it's not so much "I couldn't put it down" as "I couldn't pick it up".

Still, there is plenty of titbits there which I will no doubt share in my 'stuff to impress your mates' posts.