Field of Glory Renaissance




Russ said he bought a copy of this recently.  I knew my neighbour Mark had a copy so I've borrowed it for a couple of days to have a thumb through.  Mark reckons they are the best Renaissance rules he's seen in a long time and certainly the production quality is excellent.  I was impressed by the depth and quality - easily as good as FOG Ancients - and there is a genuine love of the period which comes through from the writers.

Clearly there are similarities with FOG Ancients - but also some significant differences (so hitting a Spanish tercio in the flank doesn't count as a flank attack due to the musketeers who populate the 4 corners).   Shooting is a more complex beast and there is a greater emphasis on combined arms comapred to ancients.  Superior cavalry charging inferior cavalry looks to be almost a foregone conclusion!   

Unlike 18th C POW, battallion guns actually sit in front of the base (rather than inside it) and artillery looks like a tricky element as well. 

I'd certainly like to have a crack at something new (Japanese battles springs to mind) and for £20 (I think) then I may well succumb!