Primary Sources

It's not 8 minutes but over 24 hours till Source Code premieres kicking off SXSW.


Wired had a pre-SXSW interview with Duncan about Source Code. It gives a little more background about how he came to the project, working with Jake, and a maybe a future project. Check out the rest of the interview at Wired.


Wired.com: Source Code is an original script, which must have been a refreshing prospect given that most projects coming out of Hollywood seem to be a spinoff of some pre-existing franchise.

Jones: So many things now are based on comic books or TV shows or remakes of old films, so yeah, it was exciting to see an original piece of material. It was written by Ben Ripley, who then got Jake Gyllenhaal interested in it.

Wired.com: And Gyllenhaal in turn recruited you, because of Moon?

Jones: When Jake came to see me, we hadn’t made our money back on Moon, we hadn’t won any awards, I was still a young independent filmmaker scratching out a living trying to work out how I was going to get my next film made. When we met up I wanted to discuss a project of my own with him, and he said, “That sounds fascinating but I’ve got a project here that I’d like you to direct.” Source Code was an opportunity to show what I could do with a big-name star on a bigger budget. Jake was excited visually by Moon and by what Sam [Rockwell] was doing in it. He wanted me to do the same thing on Source Code.


Wired.com: Sam Rockwell is usually perceived as a quirky character actor, whereas Gyllenhaal generally plays a mainstream leading man. Did you want to play up that distinction in Source Code?

Jones: Jake’s a smart cookie and he’s funny, which is one thing I immediately talked to him about. As written, the Source Code script is quite serious and dry. I wanted to inject a little humor and quirkiness into the film. As well, Jake’s got that Indiana Jones/Harrison Ford thing happening in Source Code, which I’m very excited about.

...

Wired.com: You talked about initially wanting to pitch Gyllenhaal a movie that you’d written yourself, but for this project you’re working basically as a Hollywood director for hire. What’s that adjustment been like for you?

Jones: This is a tricky one. Moon was obviously a huge labor of love for me and the people who worked on it. We also have other projects that we care with equal passion about getting made. Hopefully, audience likes this movie enough that I’ll get an opportunity to make some more of my own films and then go back and forth between working on other people’s projects and doing things that are real labors of love.

...

Wired.com: And Sam Rockwell — you have him on speed-dial?

Jones: Absolutely. If I get to do another one and it’s mine, I will by hook or by crook get Sam in there somehow. I also think I made a good deal with Jake: When the time is right hopefully he’ll help me out on one of my films.



Duncan embraces Sci-fiction and technology in his movies, so why shouldn't the promotion of Source Code reflect that. As you have read Source Code posters are coded so that you can download the Source Code Mission to help gather clues for Colter Steven.

You earn badges for each task completed and when you have complete all 5 tasks, your profile image becomes part of the animated movie poster on Source Code website.

Can't find a poster. You can go to the mission website and do via facebook.



One more TV Spot


Since Duncan is doing Austin tomorrow thought turnabout is fair play. An Austin band doing Bowie.