'Killed' vehicle markers for Spearhead

While playing around with my new Russians I also read a bit on the Spearhead rules.  One bit caught my eye - that of denoting vehicles 'killed' on a road. 

Usually in Spearhead if a tank or vehicle is knocked out it is removed from play but if killed on a road, it is left in place to denote where it is - as other vehicles then have to make their way around it.  I thought about this and considered that leaving smoking ruins on the table would look good regardless and add to the atmosphere of the battle.  But I didn't want to use models themselves.

As a simple soloution, I cut small shapes out of insulation foam, painted them Russian Green and stuck black pipecleaners in them.  Close up they look like green rectangles with a pipecleaner coming out of them but on the table (at a distance) I think they can do the job.

Some pics so you can judge for yourself.  I think a bit of extra sculpting (so a tank / truck shape) is needed but they do add to the look of the table.


Russian T-34's ride into battle - unaware of German 88's in the vicinity


Two tanks succumb to incoming fire


The stricken tanks are left behind - but more hits are scored as the Russians plough on.